Dr. Johnson Mwebaze
Directorate ICT, Quality Assurance & Library Services
Dr. Johnson Mwebaze is the Director of the Directorate of ICT, Quality Assurance and Library services at Uganda Technology And Management University (UTAMU).
Dr. Johnson Mwebaze holds a PhD in Computer Science from University of Groningen, the Netherlands.
He has accrued 9 years of experience in Business Systems and Data Communications. His Specialties include: Large Scale data analysis, Systems/Network Administration, Requirements elicitation & management, IT Project Management, Software Quality Control, Information Systems Analysis & design and Information Management.
For details see www.johnsonmwebaze.me.
Email: ict (at) utamu dot ac dot ug
- Computer Science
- Networks & Data Communication
- Mobile Computing
- Mobile Applications
- Software Engineering
- Mwebaze Johnson, Boxhoorn Danny and Valentijn Edwin: Tracing and using data lineage for pipeline processing in Astro-WISE, In the Journal of Experimental Astronomy, Volume 35, Issue 1-2, pages 131-155, (2013)
- Mwebaze Johnson, Boxhoorn Danny, Rai Idris and Valentijn Edwin: Supporting dynamic pipeline changes using Class-Based Object Versioning in the Journal Experimental Astronomy, volume 35, issues 1-2, pages 157-186, (2013)
- Mwebaze Johnson, Boxhoorn Danny, and Valentijn Edwin: Subimage Data Processing in Astro-WISE in the Journal of Experimental Astronomy, volume 35, issues 1-2, pages 245-282, (2013)
- Mwebaze Johnson, Boxhoorn Danny and Valentijn Edwin: Dynamic Pipeline Changes in Scientific Data Processing. IEEE, Stockholm (2011) ISBN: 978-1-4577-2163-2
- Mwebaze J, McFarland J, Boxhoorn D, and Valentijn E.: Towards a Provenance Framework for Subimage Processing for Astronomical Data. ACM New York, NY, USA (2010 ), Pages 1277-1280, ISBN: 978-1-4503-0099-5
- J Mwebaze, J McFarland, D Boxhoorn , H Buddelmeijer, and E Valentijn: Using Data Lineage for Sub-image Processing., in Deborah L. McGuinness, James R. Michaelis, Luc Moreau Provenance and Annotation of Data and Processes, Springer Berlin Heidelberg, 2010, Pags 289-291, ISBN 978-3-642-17818-4
- Mwebaze J, McFarland J, Boxhoorn D, and Valentijn E.: A Data Lineage Model for Distributed Subimage Processing: SACIT. ACM, New York, NY, USA (2010) ISBN: 978-1-60558-950-3
- Mwebaze, J.; Boxhoorn, D.; Valentijn, E: Astro-WISE: Tracing and Using Lineage for Scientific Data Processing, NBIS2009 Pages 475 -480, (2009) ISBN: 978-1-4244-4746-6
For five years, I worked with the OmegaCAM research group in the Netherlands. Building Astro-WISE information System, which is an astronomical system that presents research tools for exploring, visualizing and handling large astronomical image data.Currently I am the technical consultant to establish a unified messaging and information sharing solution across all Ministry of Foreign Affairs establishments (Local and abroad). The United Nations Development Program funds this project. The project is in its final stages.
I was a consultant for the Creation of the National Roads Authority Information Systems under the Road Agency Formation Unit (RAFU). Government of Uganda and World Bank established RAFU in September 1998 to effectively manage the implementation of the Road Sector Development Program (RSDP) in the Ministry of Works, Housing and Communication.I worked as the Cisco Academy Regional Coordinator, I was charge of setting, overseeing and supporting all Cisco Academies in Uganda. I was also the CCNP/CCNA instructor at the College of Computing and Information Sciences Regional Academy.
From 2003 to 2006, I was the Project Coordinator on the project called Co-Curriculum Development Project at Makerere University. This project introduced eLearning and blackboard to Makerere University. This was funded by FORD FOUNDATION.In 2004, we carried out an ICT educational needs assessment in public and private sectors in Uganda. This was project was funned by NUFFIC.
In March 2005, we carried out an ICT infrastructure assessment in the four public Universities of Uganda. With ICT Consults Ltd as a consultant. This was also funded by NUFFICIn 2007, we carried out feasibility study and requirement specifications for the creation of a Birth and Death registry system for Uganda, With ICT Consults Ltd as a consultant. This as Funded by Plan Uganda and UNICEF
Jan 2008: Designed, procured, and supervised the installation of the Faculty of Computing and Informatics Technologists Local Area Network. The Network has over 2000 PCs and 15 Severs.In 2009, we proposed and designed a directory services call centre, which was to be setup at Makerere University. The proposal included the investment required to set up a call center. This included the infrastructure, training and human resource for the call center. Under this project, we carried our skills audit required to run such a facility, from which the required training was proposed.
I also worked as the Elearning Administrator of Makerere University. I played a key role in the design, planning, installation and implementation of elearning. As an elearning administrator, I was is in charge of installation, configuring, maintenance and training of the Blackboard, providing instructors with pre-built course shells, creating and maintained student and instructor accounts, maintaining course shell organizations and management and the posting of digital research materials.In 2005, I was a research fellow on Quality of Service Research funded by Cisco, The research focused on integrated and differentiated services with particular emphasis on how the results can help the Internet service providers, end users and regulatory bodies in meeting their goals and objectives. The research also suggested heuristic algorithms aimed at improved quality of service. The results were aimed to show how countries such as Uganda could optimally utilize the small bandwidth without charging the end users more
Academic International Conferences and Workshops Attended
- Speaker at the 7th IEEE e-Science conference Stockholm, Sweden from 5th- 8th December 2011
- Speaker at the 1st International workshop on Linked Science, Bonn, Germany October 24th, 2011
- Speaker at 19th International Conference on information and knowledge Management, Toronto, Canada October 26 - 30th, 2010
- Speaker at the 2010 Annual Research Conference of the South African Institute for Computer Scientists and Information Technologists, 11th to 13th October 2010, Bela Bela, South Africa 15 - 16th 2010, Troy New York
- Speaker at the 12th International Conference on Network-Based Information Systems Indianapolis, IN, USA, August 19 – 21st, 2009
- Attended the 2008 annual Workshop of the Hewlett-Packard Software University Association in June 23 - 25 the Marrakech, Morocco