The Master of Information Systems (MIS) degree programme offers a course of study leading to the Master of Information Systems (MIS) by focusing on areas such as information management, strategic management, business information systems, systems modeling and information systems technology issues. The programme is designed to give students a thorough knowledge of the field and to provide an enduring foundation for future professional growth. The programme blends theory and practice into a learning experience that develops skills applicable to complex real-world problems.
The objectives of the Master of Information Systems Degree Programme are:
- To build human resource capacity in information systems discipline;
- To develop all round graduates in information systems at an advanced level;
- To develop professionals with theoretical and practical skills in the ICT sector;
- To contribute towards a pool of highly qualified candidates for PhD training in Information Systems; and
- To provide an opportunity for training in Information Systems at Master's level.
To qualify for admission, a candidate must fulfill the general Uganda Technology And Management University entry requirements for master's degrees, and in addition the candidate must be a holder of either;
- A Postgraduate Diploma in Information Systems or Computer Science or Software Engineering or Information Technology or Computer Engineering or any other Postgraduate Diploma in ICT from a recognized Institution; or
- At least second lower Bachelor's degree in Information Systems or Computer Science or Software engineering or Information Technology or Computer Engineering from a recognized Institution; or its equivalent.
- At least any second lower Bachelor's degree with evidence of having taken foundation course in Information Systems from a recognized Institution.
Holders of at least second class Postgraduate Diploma in Information Systems may transfer their credits and join year two semester one of the Master of Information Systems.
The curriculum includes a set of prerequisite core courses in IS which are offered in the first semester. This provides a foundation for core competences across the entire IS field for MIS graduates.
|Semester I ( 5 Cores)|
|CS 511||Information Security||45||-||-||45||3|
|IT 503||IT Strategic Planning & Management Management||45||-||-||45||3|
|IS 508||Project & Organization Change Management||45||-||-||45||3|
|TM 500||Research Methods||30||-||30||45||3|
|IS 511||Data Warehousing||30||30||-||45||3|
|Year I Semester II|
|CORE (5 Courses)|
|IS 507||Advanced Database Systems||45||-||30||60||4|
|IS 501||Systems Analysis & Design||30||30||-||45||3|
|IS 509||Data Communication & Networking||45||-||-||45||3|
|IS 502||Modeling & Simulation||15||-||90||60||4|
|IT 501||Electronic Commerce Technologies||45||-||-||45||3|
|YEAR II SEMESTER I (3 cores)|
|IS 600||Geographic Information Systems & Remote Sensing
|TM 602||Legal & Ethical Issues||30||30||-||45||3|
|TM 600||Research Methodology Seminars||30||-||30||45||3|
|ELECTIVES (1 course)|
|IT 605||Enterprise Architecture||30||30||-||45||3|
|IT 601||Multimedia & Emerging Technologies||30||30||-||45||3|
|Year II Semester II (2 cores)|
|ME 505||Consultancy Skills Development||30||-||30||45||3|
|ELECTIVES (1 course)|
|IS 605||Business Process Modeling & Analysis||30||30||-||45||3|
|IT 604||XML & Web Services||30||30||-||45||3|
Fees per semester
|Fees per semester||Functional Fees||Application Fees|
|1,700,000 UGX||300,000 UGX||50,000 UGX|
International students pay international student tuition fees which is rated in dollars and this specifically covers only the cost of teaching and many student support services. This tuition below is per academic session and includes both the tuition and functional fees.
|Category of Programme||Fees per academic session (USD)||Application / Admission Fee|