Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) Programme
|Name of PhD Programme||Duration (Years)||Ugandan and EAC Students||International Students||Approved Admission Capacity|
|Functional Fees (SHS) per Year||Tuition(SHS) Per Semester||Functional Fees (SHS) per Year||Tuition(SHS) Per Semester|
|PhD in Computing||3||1,270,000||3,500,000||2,540,000||7,000,000||10 PhD Students|
|PhD in Business Administration||3||1,270,000||3,500,000||2,540,000||7,000,000||10 PhD Students|
|PhD in Educational Administration and Planning||3||1,270,000||3,500,000||2,540,000||7,000,000||10 PhD Students|
|PhD in Development Studies||3||1,270,000||3,000,000||2,540,000||6,000,000||10 PhD Students|
The Call for Applications is Now Open for Academic 2022/2023
The National Council for Higher Education at its 66th sitting of 22nd August, 2022 approved the affiliation between Uganda Technology And Management University (UTAMU) and Mbarara University of Science and Technology for the running of the above PhD programmes. The PhD programmes are a joint institutional capacity building programme between UTAMU and MUST intended to address the educational gaps at doctoral level in the East African Region and beyond.
Each PhD programme will involve intensive research and publications in internationally accredited refereed journals. Before graduation, each PhD student under the guidance of his/ her supervisor(s) is expected to publish at least two articles in accredited journals. A list of accredited journals will be availed to the admitted candidates and supervisors.
Coursework, remedial seminars, workshops and academic paper writing colloquia will be embedded in each PhD programme. This is expected to guide the students on the expectations and the volume of doctoral education for a 21st century researcher.
The PhD Programmes target:
- University staff who would like to pursue a PhD degree;
- Lecturers in tertiary institutions;
- Research fellows;
- Next generation of academics with excellent master’s degrees; and
- Top level managers from the public and private sector who are desirous of acquiring a PhD.
- Master’s degree or its equivalent from a recognised institution in the same or related discipline, with sufficiently high grades and proven research ability.
- A transferred PhD/ doctoral admission from other recognised institutions. This will be elaborately evaluated.
Minimum Entry Requirements
- An Honors degree from an accredited degree awarding institution
- A Masters’ degree from an accredited degree awarding institution
- A Concept paper which the candidate shall be required to present orally
- Curriculum Vitae of proposed supervisor(s).
How to Apply
All applications MUST be submitted online through https://applications.must.ac.ug
Online Application Procedure
- Go to https://applications.must.ac.ug
- Click on Signup to provide details of your Names, valid phone number and Email and click signup. An Access Code will then be sent to your email and phone number If you already have an Access Code, proceed to step 3.
- Enter you email address and Access Code that has been sent to your phone number to login
- Select the application category i.e. Direct Entry and click “Apply Now”
- Fill in the application form and submit
- Click “Pay for Form” to generate a payment reference number to be used for paying application fees in the bank
- Click “Print Form” and attach the printed form to the hard copies of certified academic and other the supporting documents and submit them to any of the liaison offices below or e-mail the hard copies to: firstname.lastname@example.org OR email@example.com with the following documents:
- Two passport size photographs;
- Clear copy of passport and or any other valid identification;
- English language skill certificates or demonstration that one has had all prior education in English;
- Officially certified copies of all academic transcripts or certificates;
- An up-to-date curriculum vitae;
- A concept paper about the proposed PhD research (guidelines available at: https://utamu.ac.ug/academics/phd-programmes
- Two letters from referees; and
- Proof of payment of application fees.
- Go to the bank and pay the application fees using the payment reference number generated in “Step 6”.
Payment of Applications
The application fee of UGX 100,000/= for Ugandan and E.A.C Students and UGX 200,000 for International students is payable to the following account:
|Bank||Any commercial bank in Uganda that accepts URA Payments|
|Account Name||Uganda Revenue Authority|
The completed application form together with documents specified above must be submitted not later than 31th October 2022.
The Academic Registrar, MUST
P.O. BOX 1410
Tel: +256 414 668 971; +256 786 706 490
The Academic Registrar, UTAMU
P.O. Box 73307, Kampala
Bugolobi Campus - Plot 2 Erisa Rd, Kiswa Bugolobi Kampala | Kungu Campus - Plot 8374 Block 82 Kyadondo, Kungu, Gombe, Nansana, Wakiso
Tel: +256-702-646-093, +256-750-599-736; +256-780-249-942
Website: www.utamu.ac.ugMore information about this PhD programme is available at: https://utamu.ac.ug/academics/phd-programmes