- Senate Members
The University Senate shall be responsible to the University Council for the academic affairs of the University.
Membership of University Senate
- The Vice Chancellor as Chairperson;
- The Deputy Vice Chancellor (s);
- Deans of Schools as may be established within the University;
- Directors of Directorates as may be established within the University;
- One representative of senior academic staff from each School of the University elected by the academic staff of the school;
- One postgraduate student representative elected by the postgraduate students;
- The Guild President of UTAMU Students’ Guild; and
- Three persons capable of contributing to the academic and socio- economic development of the University appointed by the Board of Directors.
- The Academic Registrar shall be the Secretary to the University Senate.
Functions and Powers of the University Senate
- The University Senate shall be responsible for the organization, control and direction of the academic matters of the University and as such the Senate shall be in charge of the teaching, research and the general standards of education and research and their assessment in the University.
- The Senate shall:
- Initiate the academic policy of the University and advise the University Council on the required facilities to implement the policy;
- Direct and regulate the instruction programme and the structure of any degree, diploma or certificate course within the University;
- Advise the University Council regarding the eligibility and qualifications of persons for admission to courses leading to the conferment of the degree or award of diploma, certificate or other award of the University;
- Make regulations regarding the content and academic standard of any course of study in respect of a degree, diploma, or certificate or other wards;
- Make regulations regarding the standard of proficiency to be attained in each examination for a degree, diploma, certificate or other award by the University;
- Decide which persons have reached the standard of proficiency and are fit for the award of any degree, diploma, certificate or other awards of the University;
- Advise the University Council on the promotion, coordination, control and general direction of research in the University;
- Consider and report to the University Council on any matter relating to, or in connection with the academic work of the University;
- Recommend to the University Council the establishment of Schools and Departments r other academic units;
- The Senate may deprive any person of a degree, diploma, certificate or other award of a University if after due inquiry it is found that the award was obtained through fraud or dishonorable or scandalous conduct. A person deprived of an award by the Senate may appeal to the University Council against the decision of the Senate; and
- The Senate may delegate any of its powers or functions to a school board or senate committee as the Senate may consider fit.
University Senate Committees
A Senate Committee shall comprise of 5 members including the Chairperson. The Chairperson of a Senate Committee shall be a Deputy Vice Chancellor. The Academic Registrar/ Director for Academic Affairs shall be secretary of all senate committees. The University Council shall approve the number of committees and terms of reference of senate committees. The University Senate shall appoint the members of senate committees from among its members and/ or non-members.